[Using Sakai] Assignments: revert to "old style" due-date entry?
Norman Danner
2014-09-08 15:49:13 UTC
Short version: is there a way to make Assignments in Sakai 10 revert
back to the "old style" of date entries via menus?

Long version: I recently upgraded to Sakai 10, and see that Assignments
now has a clever calendar widget for entering the due date (and open
date, etc.). But in fact, I find it *really* annoying; it takes twice
as long to enter the various dates as before, when I could type just
about everything. Even worse, the sliders for setting the time don't
release if you happen to drag outside the widget, as is usually the case
for an 11:55pm due-time.

Thanks!
--
Norman Danner - ***@wesleyan.edu - http://ndanner.web.wesleyan.edu
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - Wesleyan University
Bryan Holladay
2014-09-08 16:45:16 UTC
There's no way to revert the date picker in the Assignments settings page.
You can just write the dates in with your keyboard in the text field
instead of using the popup calendar.
Tyler Beason
2014-09-08 16:57:36 UTC
Bryan,

Within Assignments, we are not able to use text entry to input dates. Using
the popup date picker is forced, the text box becomes grayed out. We've had
lots of professors complaining about this, and this could be what Norman is
referring to.

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler Beason
Graduate Assistant, Instructional Design & Learning Technologies (IDLT)
Ext. 2344
Bradley University Quantitative Finance (MSQF) student
Check out my quant finance blog! http://financecore.blogspot.com/
Cell: (217) 273-5357
Bryan Holladay
2014-09-08 17:45:42 UTC
It seems that the text field is disabled at first. Then when you click out
of the text box and back in, the text field is then editable (at least in
Chrome). I believe the reason the text field is supposed to be disabled is
since there are too many ways to input data (especially accounting for
i18n) and the date picker is a way to make it more uniform.
Norman Danner
2014-09-08 20:32:25 UTC
I did a bit of playing around on Snow Leopard (the only OS I have easy
access to right now).

On Firefox 32 and Safari 5.1.10, the text fields are completely
disabled, regardless of clicking in and out.

On Chrome, just as Bryan says, the text field can be enabled by clicking
in and out and in again.

Does anyone know the intended behavior? I.e., are the text fields for
dates intended to be editable?

- Norman
Bryan Holladay
2014-09-08 20:41:19 UTC
We had a discussion with this datepick a few weeks back and the reason was
for i18n and text parsing. Here's the thread:

http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2014-July/028262.html

It may be something we should discuss as a modification to the DatePicker.
I personally think that as long as there is error handling for bad date
inputs, the input field should not be disabled. If someone doesn't know the
correct input form, then they can use the DatePicker. But I'm not going to
make any changes w/o input and consensus from the community. You may even
want to ask the PMC (
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/mailman/listinfo/sakai-pmc)

-Bryan
John Ansorge
2014-09-08 22:38:33 UTC
I agree with Bryan, if there is error handling the field should not be disabled. I know if our Sakai “power users” can’t edit that box directly I’m going to hear about it from them right away when we upgrade to 10 in a few weeks. We usually import content from a previous term and update all the dates, so the due dates for Assignments and Tests and Quizzes are usually more than a month in advance. So that means that every date would require many clicks as Tyler and Norman noted.

If nothing else, the date picker should show several months as in this example: http://jqueryui.com/datepicker/#multiple-calendars That way there’s a much better chance that the date you’re looking for is visible without clicking to advance the month.

Of course, the effort to unify the date picker across tools is still very welcome!

-John

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Tyler Beason <***@mail.bradley.edu<mailto:***@mail.bradley.edu>>
wrote:
Bryan,

Within Assignments, we are not able to use text entry to input dates.
Using the popup date picker is forced, the text box becomes grayed out.
We've had lots of professors complaining about this, and this could be what
Norman is referring to.

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler Beason
Graduate Assistant, Instructional Design & Learning Technologies (IDLT)
Ext. 2344
Bradley University Quantitative Finance (MSQF) student
Check out my quant finance blog! http://financecore.blogspot.com/
Cell: (217) 273-5357<tel:%28217%29%20273-5357>

Norman Danner - ***@wesleyan.edu<mailto:***@wesleyan.edu> - http://ndanner.web.wesleyan.edu

Matthew Jones
2014-09-08 22:51:13 UTC
Any options you see on the demos for things like displaying multiple
calendars are easily configured in the ckeditor.launch.js. We recently made
a change to display the month and year menus. (
http://jqueryui.com/datepicker/#dropdown-month-year -
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-27733)

However the form field is something that's on the templates for each
individual tool separate from this popup. That would require loading
something like the masked input plugin (
http://digitalbush.com/projects/masked-input-plugin) or momentjs to verify
the result during an an onblur event. That seems like it would be a big
change across every tool that has a date popup.

I'm not disagreeing that it wouldn't be nice, just saying I can't think of
a way it would be fast/easy to do since that field isn't controlled by the
popup and in most places it's not something that was added as a new
component to the framework, rather just put directly into the template
(velocity,
jsf, rsf) directly.
Norman Danner
2014-09-11 17:12:35 UTC
This makes me think that there is probably an easy way to set the
initial time to 11:55pm, which would eliminate (for me) a significant
part of the hassle of not being able to do keyboard entry. Is there? I
haven't written a webapp in ages, and I'm not very familiar with many of
the technologies in use by Sakai, but given a pointer, I can probably
figure things out.

- Norman
JOSE MARIANO LUJAN GONZALEZ
2014-09-12 11:15:41 UTC
Hi everyone,

At University of Murcia, this was raisen as a priority for the migration to
10 and our team has put some effort to try to find a solution. We created
this jira [1] which has a patch attached to it and it can be tested on this
trunk server [2].

We will appreciate any testing using different browsers. Please, consider
reporting back to the jira ticket any issue that you might find or if it
works as you expected, add it also to the ticket so that it can be pushed
to trunk.

[1] - https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-27904
[2] - http://sakai-trunk.atica.um.es/portal   (For testing purposes, you
can use demo users like 'instructor', 'ta', 'student' all with 'sakai' as
password or create your own users)

Best regards!
Mariano
Bryan Holladay
2014-09-12 12:40:55 UTC
I believe this is the correct path to take by using the onblur event and
the moment library to test the validity. Just looking at the patch, how
does it inform the user that the input is invalid? Or does it just put the
original value back without saying anything?
José Mariano Luján
2014-09-12 18:12:01 UTC
Hi Brian,

it puts the original value. The input only allows the following characters: numbers and / : a p m

Might not be the perfect solution but as far as our testing has gone, it solves some of the issues described in the thread.

Cheers,
Mariano
Matthew Jones
2014-09-08 20:41:12 UTC
There is actually an open issue right now in Chrome only where it does
allow you to type in the text box (because of a jQuery change which hasn't
been updated). https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-27881 The intended
behavior is to disable input into the box.

The bug with this is that if you type something in, it is reflected in the
calendar and "appears" like it might work, but the changes you make when
typing are not submitted on the form (for Assignments and some tools) until
you actually hit "Done" on the date picker. This is because of some fixes
were mostly in the templates and worked with the existing (hidden) form
elements rather than changing the form Action handlers.

Being restricted from manually entering dates also means that there is less
need for date validation on the back-end as it's more difficult to put in
an incorrectly formatted date. Some tools (mostly velocity like Assignment)
had fixed entry date input formats while others were free form. If it was
the desire to make this field not-disabled, it would take some work and QA,
rejecting invalid dates that cannot be processed.

This was all to get a consistent date picker UI that supports i18n across
all of the tools, since we had around 5 (maybe more) different date pickers
in use in Sakai depending on the tool.
Post by Bryan Holladay
Post by Bryan Holladay
Post by Tyler Beason
Post by Bryan Holladay
Post by Norman Danner
now has a clever calendar widget for entering the due date (and open
date, etc.). But in fact, I find it *really* annoying; it takes twice
as long to enter the various dates as before, when I could type just
about everything. Even worse, the sliders for setting the time don't
release if you happen to drag outside the widget, as is usually the
case
Post by Bryan Holladay
Post by Tyler Beason
Post by Bryan Holladay